Minimums to avoid fees:
• None on basic checking
• $300 average daily balance or linked account on basic savings
• $15,000 across checking and savings for Plus Checking
• $20,000 balance or linked Plus Checking for Premier Plus Money Market
• 0.10% on up to $10,000 in Plus Checking
• 0.05% on up to $20,000 in basic savings
• 0.65% on Premier Plus Money Market
Why it's a winner: Free checking for all -- the basic account lives up to its name, Asterisk Free! -- with perks for those who maintain high balances.
Among the benefits of Plus Checking: 0.10% interest, a safe-deposit box, and free cashier's checks. Premier Plus Money Market pays a well-above-average yield (0.65%).
Caveat: Below-average rate on basic savings.
Don't let the shaky economy stress you out. A grand can still improve your career prospects, lower investment risk, make your home safer and more.